Friday, 1 July 2016

Sluggish

All was not well in the Flowerhouse garden last week. The slimy slug army came, saw and conquered and my runner beans fell - spectacularly.  The borlottis also lost the battle.  I sowed more even though it was a bit late but, as my mum says, "you never know your luck until your braces break".  Another blow was dealt when I discovered that biological warfare had been declared in the greenhouse in the form of tomato blight.  But although the vegetables are looking sorry for themselves, the flowers have been holding their own.  



"Oh well, look on the bright side, it's my birthday this week", I thought - but I woke up on my birthday only to discover that we'd left the EU; it's not what I voted for so naturally I was disappointed, well gutted actually, but I told myself that we live in a democracy and we are fortunate to have the chance to choose the path we would like to take.  The TV interviews in which people were saying that they had regretted voting to leave, or that they didn't know that we would actually be leaving, or that they didn't know which way to vote so they voted leave were slightly worrying - are they feeling regrexit?  Then, after a game of football, we (or England at least) had managed to leave Europe twice in one week - that's got to be a one-off.  

It's not all bad, I've been garden visiting at Sissinghurst and Perch Hill with my dear friend Gill over the last week.  Standing in the beautiful white garden at Sissinghurst or in Sarah Raven's famous cutting garden at Perch Hill, I felt as though I had been given a great big floral hug - just the job.  


The cutting garden, Perch Hill

The white garden, Sissinghurst

And, it seems that my braces haven't broken just yet:  as I drove home last week I saw a sign outside someone's house that said "runner bean plants for sale".  



A second chance.  

Hope all is well out there ...

Jane xx


PS:  I've just realised how weedy and untidy my garden looks!

7 comments:

  1. Such a pretty flower heart Jane...and wishing you a belated Happy Birthday! How apt were your comments about 'regrexit'......!
    Love the special gardens you visited and the idea of a floral hug is so nice.
    So glad you got a second chance with the runner beans...your garden looks lovely and lush. Have a great weekend!
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain Jane re the slugs, it's a battle isn't it!
    Such a pretty flower heart.
    It has been a 'funny' old time of late!
    V x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the slugs have a way of completely destroying a plant in the time it takes to blink twice. I am sorry your birthday was spoilt by the referendum result. I am still speechless, wondering already what is going to happen to my multinational family, we are Swiss and Italian, British and Australian in the one family. Difficult times ahead. Have a lovely weekend, slug free hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that saying, I shall remember it. Also gutted about the referendum result. Glad you've had some good garden visiting though. The white garden at Sissinghurst looks gorgeous. I hope you manage to get some beans on the go. I've had plenty of slug devastation here as well. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you Jane. I am on my second lot of French beans, the first planting having been decimated by slugs. I used a few slug pellets second time round. I made the decision not to grow tomatoes this year and I'm relieved because we already have blight at the allotment and it's even spreading to the potatoes so I'm removing the worst of the splotchy leaves and hoping for the best. Just as well I grow lots of flowers which don't need washing or cooking. I would love to visit Perch Hill. I use Sarah's garden cookbook all the time and I buy her flower seeds too. I also think her husband Adam is a wonderful writer. I'm sorry about the referendum result too and still can't quite believe it happened.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you had a good birthday and that the garden is faring a bit better now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I echo your feelings about Brexit wholeheartedly, such a retrograde step. Not a pleasant birthday event for you. Your garden looks very lovely to me, green and lush and beautiful. X

    ReplyDelete