Saturday, 30 April 2016

Hangin'

Since finishing the big bobble blanket I've been concentrating on smaller things and something I've been wanting to have a go at is to crochet covers for some of my clothes hangers - there's nothing like having hangers to match your clothes (yes, clearly I don't have enough things to fill my day!). 



They were easy enough to do, although the annoying thing about the hangers I have is that you can't unscrew the hook, so I had to crochet the long sides of the cover together once it was on the hanger; I had hoped to crochet the long sides together, slide the hanger in, stitch the short ends and screw the hook in after. 

Anyway, I used DK yarn and a 3.5mm hook and this is how I made my covered hangers (written in UK terms):
  • Make 13 ch in your main colour
  • Row 1: 1 dc into second ch from hook, then 1 dc into each st to end, 1 ch and turn
  • Row 2:  1 dc into each stitch to end, 1 ch and turn
  • Continue as for Row 2 until you have 86 rows
  • Work 1 row of dc all the way around to neaten the edges
  • Find the centre of your crochet and thread the hanger hook through
  • Dc the two long sides together and stitch the two short sides
  • For the white picot edge, join yarn to the first dc, ch 1 then dc into the same st 
  • Ch 4 and ss into the first of these four ch *1 dc into each of the next three sts, ch 4 and ss into the first of these four ch*
  • Repeat from * to * to the last picot
  • Work the last picot as you have all the others, anchoring it with a ss at the end.  Sew in ends. 

I'm pleased with how these turned out and they're a great way to use up odd bits of yarn.  I used Sublime extra fine merino dk in powderpuff (304), holiday (350) and salty (010) and for the white picot edge I used Debbie Bliss rialto dk in white (001).  The hangers I bought in Ikea.  


Hope all is well out there ...

Jane x



5 comments:

  1. Lovely! I had to make a clothes hanger cover at school, a hundred years ago. It was traumatising and I have never made another one. I do quite fancy one now, seeing yours. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're fabulous. I do love the little picot trim, it finishes them off perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful hangers, Jane. They look really stylish and special with the soft colours and lovely picot trim. Have a happy week.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely Jane, thank you for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete