Saturday, 9 April 2016

Basket making

Well, not in the usual sense.  I'd love to be able to make rustic wicker baskets but that's another course for another time, if ever; I would imagine it takes heaps of practice.  Meanwhile, I thought I'd have a go at a crochet one.  Mine's worked with a 4mm hook in Rowan softknit cotton:  3 x flint (595), 1 x willow (587) and 1 x white (588) and here's how to do it:  

  • Start by making a magic circle with 6 dc before pulling tight
  • Round 1:  2 dc in each st (you should now have 12 sts).  You may find it useful to use a stitch marker at the beginning of each row from now on as the whole basket is worked in a spiral and it becomes harder to keep count as your base gets bigger
  • Round 2:  1 dc in the first st, 2 dc in next st, *1 dc in next st, 2 dc in next st, repeat from * to end (18 sts)
  • Round 3:  1 dc in first 2 sts, 2 dc in next st, *1 dc in next 2 sts, 2 dc in next st, repeat from * to end (24 sts)
  • Round 4:  1 dc in first 3 sts, 2 dc in next st, *1 dc in next 3 sts, 2 dc in next st, repeat from * to end (30 sts)
  • Round 5:  1 dc in first 4 sts, 2 dc in next st. *1 dc in next 4 sts, 2 dc in next st, repeat from * to end (36 sts)
  • Keep working in this way, increasing the size of your base by adding 1 more stitch between the increase stitches (the 2 dcs) in each round until you reach the size you want (1 did 18 rounds).




  • To build up the sides just continue without increasing until you reach the desired height.
  • There are all sorts of possibilities for edging but, plain Jane that I am, I just decided to finish with 2 rounds each of a different colour and that's it.



The Rowan softknit cotton is just that, soft, and I found that the higher the basket got the more floppy it became, hence the rolled down top in the photo below (I quite like it like that though), so if you want more stand-up you will need to work it in something with a little more oomph.  I thought string might be good but I'm not sure my fingers would be quite so keen - I might try and see how far I get.


Hope all is well out there ...
Jane x




7 comments:

  1. I love the simplicity of your pattern and the two contrasting colours on the rolled down top look fantastic. I made my baskets with rag yarn and a 10mm hook - quite hard on the fingers and arms but they do work up incredibly quickly. I like the finer stitch detail in yours though. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I like it & think of the storage potentials! It looks like such a useful size xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's lovely as it is, with the rolled down top, very stylish in it's simplicity. I can think of all sorts of things I could store in one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's perfect Jane, the beauty of it is in its simplicity! I shall have a go at your pattern as it looks such a useful size, thank you for sharing it.
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this (and your colour palette generally having just scanned a few pages quickly!) and thank you for the recipe. I have some Aran weight grey, lime green and cream Rico creative cotton leftover from making string bags recently so I will see how far my leftovers get me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...truly amazing. My sweetie has been knitting some baskets and I think that she would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a lovely basket, Jane! Thank you for sharing the pattern.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete