Tuesday, 10 November 2015

A big granny square

The big grey granny square came about because of a change of plan on another project.  The 'three shades of grey granny stripe' started life as a large dark grey blanket with maybe a little colour around the edge, then a third of the way through I decided to add a different grey and then another.  



So, what to do with the eight balls of now spare yarn?  I went back to the original plan, started with a small granny square that just got bigger.  There wasn't enough to make a bed-sized blanket but it's more than enough to cover a lap and keep feet warm too.  I ended up buying more yarn to make the edging, which is a row of double crochet, two rows of treble crochet and a further row of trebles with three trebles worked into each stitch of the previous row to get the ruffle.  It seems to take ages but I like the effect.  



I used 8 x 100g balls of Stylecraft Special DK in Graphite (1063) and 2 in Raspberry (1023) with a 3.5mm hook.  

Grey seems to be a bit of a theme lately, the latest WIP has a little grey.



And I recently picked up a bit of cross stitch (something I used to do all the time before I rediscovered crochet) and went straight for the grey!  The pattern is by Luli and you can find it here.  



Hope all is well out there ...
Jane x

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful blanket and I adore the raspberry edging.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both are absolutely lovely. I bet the blanket is scrumptiously warm. And I love the texture of your new WIP, I shall look forward to seeing more. I'm knitting a dark grey blanket at the moment. You've made me think that maybe a light grey one shall be next. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how the grey and pink look together. It's all so pretty.
    xx Beca

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is funny how we are drawn to different colours at different times isn't it! Your blanket is beautiful indeed!!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your latest WIP in grey is intriguing - that bobble stitch and contrast in textures is really striking. I have some cross stitch on the go from the summer but I seem to have abandoned it in favour of woolly crafts. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love grey too. Your blanket is lovely, I like the closeness of the texture, and the raspberry edging is inspired X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous blanket....I love the different shades of grey and the lovely texture. Like the cross stitch very much too!
    Happy weekend.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete