Saturday, 17 October 2015

Autumn cowl making

I finished making a cowl this week and in good time it seems as it's been miserable here over the last couple of days.  


It was very simple to do.  It's based on a free knitting pattern on Ravelry:  'Road to China Striped Cowl' by Suzanne Middlebrooks.  I wanted to crochet mine so here's what I did (in UK terms).  

I made 41 chain then 1 dc into the second chain from the hook and continued in dc to the end so there's 40 stitches in the row.  Turn, *make 1 chain then 1 dc into each dc to the end, turn* and continue from * to * until your scarf/cowl is long enough (mine measured 126 cm long before I joined the two short ends together and it's 22 cm wide).  There are four rows to each stripe and nine stripes of each colour. 


I started with navy alternating it with the teal, then after the fifth navy stripe changed from teal to light pink and continuing with navy until there were nine navy stripes.  I then continued with the light pink and dark pink combination and then changed to the gold when there were nine light pink stripes and so on, finishing with duck egg and teal before joining the ends together.  


I used a 3.5mm hook and Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino, one ball of each of the following:  Navy (008), Mallard (059), Pale lilac (608), Lilac pink (069), Amber (066), Clotted cream (065), Duck egg (026)


I hope the above all makes sense and that all is well out there ...
Jane x

9 comments:

  1. Jane I love that, thanks for the pattern xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's absolutely gorgeous Jane. And thank you for sharing how you made it x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's gorgeous Jane, I really love how you've worked all the stripes, brilliant. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing the colour palette is beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cowl is so pretty, Jane. I love the colors. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your cowl! Thanks for sharing the pattern
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cozy, and so cheerful. Perfect for the cold, grey days ahead :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is very pretty, the texture looks lovely and crisp and yet soft too. We have had such unseasonably mild weather in Scotland so far this year that there hasn't been much call for scarves yet! x

    ReplyDelete