Friday, 5 June 2015

How do you bobble?

Bobbles - can't get enough of them at the moment.  I'd used bobbles before in my pink Rogue Flower cushion (see sidebar) and I was rather taken with this pattern from Woman's Weekly Best of our ... Vintage Patterns magazine.  (Worked in 4 x 50g Sublime Egyptian Cotton in Infinity (353) and a 3mm hook.)


This was something a bit different for me and I love the bobble effect, which 
seems easy enough to do:  B1 = bobble 1 (work 5tr in next st, remove hook, insert hook in top of first of these 5tr, then back into loop of 5th tr and pull loop through first tr, yrh and pull through loop on hook).  Simples!  



I looked elsewhere for bobbly inspiration and found clusters:  to make a cluster with 4 treble crochet:  *yo, insert hook in next stitch, yo, draw yarn through the stitch, yo, draw through 2 loops on hook*, repeat from * to * 3 times, yo, draw yarn through 5 loops on hook.



I found a pattern for rows of bobbles that could be adapted to make a cushion:  MB = make bobble (work 4 open tr in same st leaving 5 loops on hook, draw yarn through all 5 loops at once).  Isn't that a cluster?  So when does a bobble become a cluster and a cluster become a bobble?  To be fair, they both look bobbly.  (The square above can be found in Jan Eaton's 200 Crochet Blocks for Blankets, Throws and Afghans on p. 50.)



And then ... Make popcorn.  Popcorn!!?!!  Why?  Oh I see ... work 5tr in next st, remove hook, insert hook in top of first of these 5tr, then back into loop of 5th tr and pull loop through first tr, yrh and pull through loop on hook.  Erm ... that's a bobble?  



Blimey, I need to lie down.    

Hope all is well out there ...
Jane x


6 comments:

  1. I go into a tangle bobbling & popcorning! I'm sticking to the simpler stitches for now. Love the cushion x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy popcorn bubble fun!!! As long as you enjoy that is all that matters!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know Jane, why can't they all be called the same thing!
    Whatever the names though, your work is beautiful. :)
    V x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the bobbles...popcorn....I know what you mean, it can be both or either! (and the same in knitting too!) Anyhow, they are just so pretty and such a gorgeous texture!
    Happy new week!
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicely done m'dear. I love the bobbliness, and the colour is gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete