Tuesday, 24 February 2015

Cowl no. 2

Cowl no. 2 was simple to do but a bit more labour-intensive than the blue one in my last post.



As a starting point I followed The Purl Bee's 'Crocheted Rib Cowl' pattern - just simple double crochet worked into the back loop of each stitch to get a ribbed effect.  The chunky yarn they've used is gorgeous, but I wanted to use a different weight as I used a chunky yarn for the last cowl I made. Here's what I used:  

      6 x Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran in Charcoal (028)
      1 x Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran in Lime (502)
      5.00 mm hook

Using the aran weight yarn meant that I needed a longer foundation chain, I wasn't sure how to calculate it so I just kept making a chain and wrapping it round my neck until I got the length I needed.  The finished cowl measures 20 cm wide and 164 cm in circumference - in hindsight it could have been a tad shorter, but I love it all the same.  




* * *

As ever, I've strayed from my WIPs because I've seen other things (no self-control whatsoever).  This little heart is made from a pattern I found via a pin from Dragana at Dada's Place; she used the pattern from Jose here.  


And this week I've also got spots ...   


Hope all is well out there ...
Jane x


7 comments:

  1. It looks lovely & squishy, love you little spot granny squares xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yet another lovely cowl. I love the heart and as for the spots I hope it's nothing catching.

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cowl is gorgeous, I love the colours!! Good luck with the spots! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely makes, the cowl looks so cosy! Enjoy the spots now :)
    Happy week!
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your cowl Jane, that is such a lovely pattern, I have never crocheted rib before believe it or not, much give it a go!
    Pretty hearts and spots. :)
    V x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your cowl Jane. And the little heart is very sweet.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm loving the cowl ... but then those are two of my favourite colours!

    ReplyDelete