Wednesday, 26 November 2014

Chelly

Chilli jelly.  I get slightly mesmerised by the way the little bits of chilli are suspended in the jelly.  It's a really easy recipe from Nigella Lawson's book 'Nigella Christmas'.  Take chillies, jam sugar, cider vinegar and let it boil like fury for ten minutes, job done.  



But a word of caution.  The chillies need to be de-seeded before they're chopped and Nigella advises wearing gloves to do this.  'Ha', I thought, the first time I made it, 'gloves are for wimps' and I chopped and de-seeded with joyful abandon bare-handed.  Half an hour later - oh the pain!  You see, oil from the chillies finds its way under your nails and the result is burning nail beds for about a week, which is unfortunate when you've made the chelly as a surprise Christmas delicacy for your husband and so are unable to mention it.  Therefore, this year, gloves are definitely not for wimps.  

Unlike the warm glowing chelly, the day here is, yet again, grey, damp and generally miserable, but I'm gradually building up a stash of blankets to snuggle in should the cold weather get to me.  This one is the first I made.  The colour scheme is not my invention, it belongs to Sharron who kindly posted her colour scheme on her blog here.





I'm on the last leg of the grey one but the border is taking an age (a) because the blanket is quite a big one, (b) because the border is a frill so there are three times more trebles to do, and (c) my little red four-legged friend LOVES yarn!  But despite the treble marathon, I'm finding this frilly edge a rather pleasing thing.



Thank you for all your lovely comments on my last post.

Hope all is well out there ...
Jane x




10 comments:

  1. Yum chilli jelly looks fantastic...my husband would love this too. It looks so pretty in the jar as well. Love that colourful blanket! So cosy!
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make that recipe often, we love the stuff here. It always looks festive & glowing. Your blanket is coming on now, I love the edging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Jane, I love your blanket, whilst colourful it is also calming, beautiful border too.
    Is Chilli jam seriously that easy? goodness I think even I could have a dabble. A friend once made apple chilli jam-oh my days a little on a bacon buttie was sooooo good, an odd concept but it works.
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Jane

    I've not heard of Chilli jelly but it looks so colourful. Two fabulous blankets, the frilly border is so different and is brilliant, cosy and snuggable.

    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm, chelly, what a great idea. I had a bit of a chilli moment yesterday when I bit into a chilli to see if it was hot (I know, I know).

    ReplyDelete
  6. The chili jelly sounds and looks delicious......and I love the name chelly! All your crochet is beautiful, the bright and the subtle.....gorgeous! Love the frilly border on the grey blanket, such a nice way to finish it.
    Keep cosy and enjoy the rest of the week, Jane.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Jane , so many lovely things. I adore your grey blanket - it's stunning and the border looks so perfect. Puppies and wool just do not mix do they !! Have a good weekend, Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds a bit risqué saying to a person Ooh I do like your frilly bits! And the chelly looks good too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have some jam sugar in the cupboard, and some chillis in the fridge....you've made me want to make chelly! I like Nigella's Christmas, it's a really good book and I enjoy getting it out each year. It's one of my little rituals. And your blanket is just stunning. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just popping in to say Hello ~ I found your lovely blog via Just Pootling. Love your blankets ~ they are really beautiful and your Chelly sounds very tasty too :O)x

    ReplyDelete