Friday, 20 June 2014

Retirement

I think it's probably time for an old friend to retire.  

I made this blanket years ago, when the girls were small.  It was a marathon knit and I spent months on it.  It was worked in Jaeger Matchmaker yarn with one square in Jaeger Persia, a lovely boucle yarn.  Sadly these yarns are no longer available.  It has hugged us, comforted us and kept us warm on chilly winter nights but now it's showing its age and looking a bit tatty.  There are holes (some rather badly mended), bobbles and splitting seams and to make it worse, the last time it was washed I washed it at the wrong temperature and the Persia square shrank so is now smaller and sort of felted. 





So, time for something new to take over its duties.  I like the combination of greys, black and ivory on the old one and I may reproduce it at some point, but for now I'm going dark grey crochet, granny stripe pattern without stripes ... 


... although I may add some crazy bright green.  



I'm not sure I've explained that very well but it will all work out in the end.


* * *

Meanwhile, in the garden, this lovely rich velvety crimson rose, William Shakespeare, has started to flower.  We bought this, unsurprisingly, on a weekend visit to Stratford-upon-Avon.  


I like the way the dark red stripes on the Nigella seed heads complement it, but this is just a happy accident and nothing to do with any planning on my part.


Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
And summer's lease hath all too short a date:
(Sonnet 18, William Shakespeare)

Hope all is well out there ...
Jane x



6 comments:

  1. How very sad about your old blanket. I hope that the new one will last a long time and be lovely and cosy for you. The rose is beautiful, and a great reminder of your visit to Stratford. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very sad to have to say goodbye to a much loved blanket Jane, but I'm sure this one will be every bit as successful for you and family - enjoy the process!
    Your garden pics are lovely - we have a William Wordsworth rose which looks rather similar to your W.S., is also very beautiful and gives off the most wonderful perfume. Maybe the Aussie nursery got a bit confused with their poet/writers and wrongly named it, haha! Have a great weekend, xoJoy

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a shame about your old blanket but it sounds as if it was very well used and loved. Hope you have fun making the next one!
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shame about your blanket, it must be very sad to say goodbye. I hope you enjoy working on the replacement,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sad but a good excuse to make another :-) The rose is a beauty.
    Tracey xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the texture on the new blanket, it's really good. And on the old one as well, I like the way you've got a square within a square. I've seen (and coveted) that rose before, it really is as good as it promises to be. There must be a hundred petals on each flower, it's perfect.

    ReplyDelete