Thursday, 31 October 2013

Bobble-de-gook

At last my blog has some content, having been set up months ago, possibly a year, with lots of help from my lovely friend Gill

When I visited Coco Rose Diaries the other day I saw that Vanessa had been busy making tiny bobble hats for this year’s Innocent Big Knit. I thought I’d have a go, made ten little hats, then ground to a halt trying to make bobbles – usually an easy task using two pieces of card with a hole in the middle, but not when you want tiny bobbles. After lots of fiddling about I came to the conclusion that my hats would be bobbleless and disappointing, then a quick Google led me to fork bobbles.  And bobble's your uncle, job done!




I rediscovered knitting and crochet a while ago (something I hadn’t done since my teens) and have been much inspired by the blogs of others.

I’ve come to the conclusion that my rather awkward knitting technique leaves a lot to be desired (never managed to do that thing where you flick the yarn forward between the needles with a pointy finger), but after a year of slowly and deliberately winding the wool around the needles and getting side-tracked by other projects, I’ve finally managed to finish something:









And this too:




The inspiration for the blanket came from Thrifty Chic, interior style on a shoestring by Liz Bauwens and Alexandra Campbell and also from here at Mia's Landliv.  It has now gone to university!  The pattern for the cushion came from Classic at Home by Erika Knight.  

This has been a longer first posting than I had intended, and very wordy, so if anyone's out there and managed to get this far, thank you for sticking with it!

Jx





14 comments:

  1. Yay!!!!! You did it! Well Done girl!
    The blanket looks lovely on the bed, and the pink, patchwork and crocheted squares make it ibto something original and special. Hope Natalie is enjoying it.
    Cushion looks great too - how's the Christmassy red one coming along?
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gill, Natalie loves it and I think it's giving her a bit of comfort as she's a bit poorly at the moment with the sniffles. Christmassy red one going well and will feature in next post!
      Jxx

      Delete
  2. Love your knitted quilt! Liv

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liv, thank you. Got to do another one now - my other daughter would like a blue version! Thanks for following.
      Jane x

      Delete
  3. Just popped over from Gilly's blog and I had to say your blanket is a masterpiece, Just love it. Welcome to Blogland.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa, thank you for your lovely comments and look forward to seeing more of you in Blogland.
      Jane x

      Delete
  4. Gill send me to your blog, i will become a follower. Love to see your projects.greetings from France.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Baukje, thank you for following
      Jane x

      Delete
  5. Hi Jane, what a beautiful blanket. I'm loving all the different grays. Tres moderne! It looks like your unconventional knitting style isn't slowing you down much at all. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristen, thanks very much for your lovely comments.
      Jane x

      Delete
  6. I love the way you have combined knitting and crocheting in this blanket. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thank you for your lovely comments. I think the next one will be more crochet than knitting as crochet seems to 'grow' quicker!
      Jane x

      Delete
  7. HI Jane
    just discovered your lovely blog after you left a comment on mine ! Love, love, love this blanket - it's so beautifully made, and I love all your colour choices. Your cushion is so perfect it looks as though it's shop bought - clever you !
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate,
      Thanks for your lovely comments, I've been admiring your work too on Just Pootling. The blanket has now gone to Sheffield and is hopefully giving my daughter a big hug when she needs it.
      Jane x

      Delete